Finished and almost satisfied

Hooray for getting things finished! I’m now in a weird lull – I have many WIPs that are not calling to me, and other projects I want to start but that requires the effort of gathering all the supplies. Hopefully sharing the latest finished items will get that mojo moving in the right direction!

First off, a new HeartCat amineko (the first one took a walkabout and was lost in the mail). Part of the reason I enjoy making these is how different each one is, even though I follow the same pattern and they are made with a similar intention. When I finished attaching the pieces of this one, I thought he could use a bowtie. And then I couldn’t get that idea out of my head. My gals at knittting agreed, a bowtie was the way to go. I used felt and a touch of white glue, so he’s still very kid safe. Another project for the marathon-of-warmth!

 Next, what would have been a true Ravellenic Sweater success, had I started at the beginning of the Ravellenics, not half a week later. Still, a sweater made in under 2 weeks (sportweight! long sleeves!) is a success for me. The Beach Street Park sweater was a great pattern and I am considering making one for me. I adjusted the pattern a bit due to my gauge, so following a combination of numbers for the XS and M size resulted in a room sweater for the intended person (Zoe of the Good Karma Farm family, on the left), but also fit me with less ease (my selfie is not seamed or blocked, but you get the idea)

And then there were socks! These awesome stripey socks are my February Personal Sock club socks for the Stitch Addiction KAL. I really love them and their eye-searing Peep yellow and Peep pink. I am noticing a few things though – like, they fit and I’ll wear them, but I notice the toes skew a little bit when I wear them (maybe I need to find a toe that better fits my foot?) and do you see the slight rolls on the top of the foot? I think maybe they are slightly too big? My go-to for sock knitting has been US2 / 2.75mm so maybe I need to go down a size? Interesting. I don’t notice it when I’m wearing them (I have them on right now!) but it catches my eye in the photos.

Have you been happy with your FOs lately?

Warming Up

FO Friday jan 10My FOs that I have to share are part of the Marathon of Warmth. I’ve made two hats and a cowl (386 yards down!) and soon they will be sent out to HatLoveKnits. I really enjoyed working with both of these patterns and the yarns. The teal hat is a Wurm in SimpliWorsted. This one is a bit small on my head, but should fit a teen just fine.  The hat and cowl set (using this hat pattern and this scarf recipe) used up one ball of Red Heart Unforgettable. I liked the construction of the hat – the crown / body are crocheted which went pretty fast and then the brim is worked at 90 degrees. I do think I would try it again. These were knit in the first few days of 2014, mostly while watching London Hospital. I find it fascinating! If you like medical dramas with a touch of soap opera (like ER), I would suggest you try it out. If you have Amazon Prime, both seasons are there for instant streaming.

 

Weekending

I already know I’m going to want to spotlight the kid’s Halloween costumes on Friday (they are very awesome FOs, even if they are not knit) so I figure that today I’ll share a bit about my weekend, which does include knitting projects!

Saturday was the end of this session of swim lessons. I am so proud of my girl, she is really making progress and seems to be enjoying it, so we will continue. Maybe because our day started so early, but Saturday seemed to drag on and just be an endless day. Whiney children will do that. The weather here has taken a sharp drop and it’s time to pull out the hats and mitts. I intended to start a pair of mitts for the little nutmeg, but I knew once I got through the cuff they were too big. I thought I had a fingering weight yarn and thought if I held it double and made a smaller size that all would work out in the end.  They did work out, but not for him – I had the Lorax try on the cuff and it fit her, so I continued on to make them for her. I am really pleased with how they came out and will make this pattern again – it is Maize, a free pattern from TinCanKnits.

Saturday night I attempted to finish Dinosaur Rex, and I ran out of yarn! I knew I was getting to the end, so I divided the yarn in half, then started the leg and I only was able to knit 12 rows. My husband said the dino didn’t need the legs and of course it was the first thing the Lorax noticed when she saw him! I think there’s a limerick in there somewhere:  “Terrence, the tap dancing dinosaur / Only has 2 limbs instead of four / (something something something – I ran out of yarn, with none to be found?) / So Terrence will tap-dance no more.” I made him with Vanna’s Choice, something easy to find, but this was a stashbusting project and I really don’t want to buy another skein of it just for the legs. (If you have 1/3 or 1/4 a cranberry skein, let me know! I’ll buy it from you!). I’m thinking about maybe just giving him stripey legs to match the tummy panel, but for now, it will do. It is still a huggable toy.

On Sunday I took the Lorax to the town “Trunk or Treat” which was very cute and great people watching. It was a nice Halloween event for families, so it ran towards the cute vs gory or scary, and there weren’t older kids around being obnoxious (which they totally could have done). We saw a stick figure family, a scuba diver, a minion, princesses, lots of animals: dogs, cats, bunnies, and sharks – lots of sharks. Maybe I kept seeing the same kids but it seemed like there were a lot of sharks. I also finished a project that is a present and being sent off today; I should be able to share that one on Friday too.

And here we are, looking at Monday. I am hoping to do more with my 30 day sweater and my queue of fingerless mitts / hats is just ridiculous, but involves using some new yarns, so that’s fun!